Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What I Might Want To Do When I Grow Up

Miss S is 9 and a half months now, and she being my last child, I can't help but wonder where my life is going after my stint as Stay-At-Home-Mom is over. Granted this new phase of my life is years away, about 5 years really, but it doesn't stop me from contemplating what my plan of action will be when Career-Woman me emerges.

I want to write. I love writing. It would be so very cool if I could earn a living writing. But when I think about my future as a free-lance writer I don't see myself truly being successful. Not because I couldn't hack it, but because I lack discipline. And I don't want my writing to become a painful chore. I want it to continue to be something I do for fun. So I wonder if there's something I could do that is flexible enough to allow me to structure my day around my kids, give me free writing time, and give me a source of personal satisfaction. Tall order, eh?

The newest kernel of an idea that has planted in my mind is becoming a massage therapist. It's a 3 year program here in BC, and once completed I would be pretty much guaranteed a job, massage therapists are in high demand. I could start massage therapy college when Miss S begins preschool, lucky me one of the provinces three massage colleges is a 5 minute drive from my house. And by the time Miss S begins grade 1, I could begin working at a local clinic.

I of course have a much more elaborate and complicated fantasy involved in my newest career plan that has me being apart of the North Okanagan Birth Centre (to be founded and started by me and some other people) but I'm sure I'll be getting into that later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool!! You can practice on me. Old age is a bitch on yer muscles, lol.